RV Generator Performance Improvement
Review a list of some general guidelines to operate and maintain your generator. Following these basic do’s and don’ts will increase the generator’s performance.
Do’s and Don’ts for Better Generator Performance
- DO keep your generator clean by wiping it periodically with a clean cloth.
- DO turn off all appliances in cold weather before starting your generator, for best long-term performance.
- DO check owners manual for periodic maintenance schedule.
- DO check the exhaust system regularly for damage or leaks. Make sure the exhaust pipe extends out at least one inch beyond the vehicle perimeter.
- DO check the carburetor pre-heating selector (if one is installed) to be sure it’s in the proper position for the surrounding climate. (See your Operator’s Manual for proper settings.)*
- DO check the air filter periodically and clean it by tapping it on a flat surface. Never wash it in solvents or blow it out with an air hose.
- DO install a running hour meter so you know when scheduled maintenance service is due.
- DO exercise your generator regularly.
- To maintain the LPG fuel filter, purge the fuel system following the procedures listed in the Operator’s Manual.
- On diesel models, DO make sure that clean fuel, the most important factor for proper generator performance, is used. Refer to the fuel recommendations in the Cummins Onan Owner’s Handbook
- DO make sure each operator is familiar with the important safety precautions listed in the Cummins Onan Owner’s Handbook.
- DO change your fuel filter. The fuel filter is an often forgotten part of any engine. Your generator has one too. It removes bits of debris from the fuel to prevent clogging the carburetor jets. Over time, the fuel filter collects enough material to become plugged, which restricts fuel flow and reduces the generator’s power delivery. So be sure to change the fuel filter on a regular maintenance schedule.
- DON’T run the generator for long periods of time without using it to power appliances. It wastes fuel and may cause the engine to misfire.
- DON’T attempt to adjust the carburetor, governor, choke, etc., yourself. See your Cummins Onan® Authorized RV Service and Parts Dealer for assistance.
- DON’T attempt to adjust EFI components on the Marquis Platinum™.